December 4, 2017
SpaceCom will host a full-day workshop for start-up entrepreneurs to help them refine their business plan and pitch and provide insights on identifying investment sources. Investors and accelerators will participate as mentors and judges to select the most promising of the entrepreneurs’ proposals to be showcased throughout the SpaceCom 2017 conference program. SpaceCom attendees will participate in selecting the top entrepreneur who will receive a cash prize. Special consideration will be given to start-ups whose proposals apply space technologies to terrestrial industries, including aerospace, medical, energy, advance manufacturing, maritime and agribusiness. The workshop and competition will be managed and facilitated by Stephan Reckie, Founding Member of Angelus Funding.
Workshop Faculty Includes:
- Stephan Reckie, Founding Managing Member, Angelus Funding
- Dr. Douglas Terrier, NASA, Acting Chief Technologist
- Dr. Sean Casey, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Silicon Valley Space Center
- Jane Lea Hicks, Accelerator Director, Houston Technology Center
- Peter Choi, Resource Supervising Patent Examiner, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Ruben Derderian, Director, International Acceleration, Houston Technology Center
- Maryanna Saenko, Senior Association, DFJ Ventures
- John S. Reale, Jr., Co-Founder & CEO, Station Houston
Prior to the workshop, entrepreneurs will be required to provide a Lean Business Model Canvas and a presentation deck provided to SpaceCom by November 20, 2017.
- 8.00 AM Check-in and Breakfast
- 8.30 AM Introductions and Expectations
- 8.45 AM The Habits of a Successful Entrepreneur
- 9.00 AM The Future of Space Commercialization Opportunities
- 9.30 AM Business Model Canvas Review and Actions
- 10.15 AM Break
- 10.30 AM Ideation / Validation, Value Proposition
- 11.00 AM Intellectual Property Review
- 11.30 AM Marketing / GotoMarket Strategy/Plan
- 12.00 PM Working Lunch with Questions and Answers
- 1.00 PM Access to Capital, Funding Strategy/Plan
- 2.00 PM Executive Summaries and Tips
- 3.00 PM Investor Presentations and Tips
- 5.00 PM Closing and Reception
The top 5 start-ups are selected by a panel committee headed by Stephan Reckie and will include a venture capitalist, angel investor, strategic investor, and an accelerator representative. The selected start-ups will present to SpaceCom attendees throughout the conference program and again during the Investors Panel on the final day of the conference.
During the SpaceCom conference program:
- Each of the top 5 selected start-ups is given 90 seconds to make a speed pitch during the SpaceCom conference program. The exact date and time are to be determined.
- SpaceCom attendees will vote on their favorite start-up. There is consideration for two winners – one selected by a panel and the other by popular vote.
- The finalists will present again on Thursday, December 7, 2017 as part of the Investor Panel and a prize will be awarded.
Participant Fee Structure and Registration:
Registration fee for the workshop and competition is $200 for start-ups and investors. Start-up companies will also receive up to two (2) SpaceCom Full Conference badges.